ok after i said How to download genuine Windows ISO from Microsoft's website and how to install new Windows 10 Build 1809 from the original Windows 10. Hope it can be installed successfully.
and after finishing What do I have to do now? Recommend 5 things that you should do after installing Windows as follows.
1) Update completely and install Driver
Of course, the first thing we should do. After the Windows is finished, it is to install the Driver first.
For all brands of machines, most have a website. Let's go into the search for Driver and various programs. Of the machine for installation and of Windows itself, there will be some Driver in Windows Update already. Just go to Windows Update, but for Drive Intel Graphics Driver, NVIDIA GeForce Driver can be downloaded directly from the website of both of them (but in Windows Update it's new as well).
If you are the owner of LEVEL51 (thank you) we will have a program named SYSTEMx that can be used to install Driver automatically, just go to the link. https://bit.ly/lv51-systemxv2 and then go to the Driver Tab to start the installation. The program will select the Driver that your machine needs to come out by itself. and then install it by downloading directly through the internet No need to save files to waste. You can do it by following this step.
(If you want to download files to keep will be introduced in this post )
2) Organize various information
Making the machine we have Drive C and Drive D separately is what we have been doing for a long time so that we can reinstall Windows without worrying that the data in Drive C will be lost and like everyone will understand the same. Well, if it's in D, it means it's safe :) So, before we mess things up, First, we have to "share Drive" first.
For how to split a drive in Windows 10, you can use Disk Management to do it. without having to install additional programs Now, the next problem that everyone will ask me is , what size should Drive C be? This depends on how many programs we will use. Let me try to give an example of the program size.
- Windows empty, have not done anything, use about 13GB and need space for Page File, Swap File as well, and there is also a Hibernate File, which Page File and Hibernate File this will have the same size as the RAM in our machine. (That is, if you have 16GB of RAM, you need to add about 32GB.)
- Adobe is about 20GB-30GB, depending on what's installed. This is what I use all the time, about 20GB.
- Visual Studio Community Edition down to everything, about 50GB, but why go down so much? If used regularly is Desktop (WPF), UWP, Web, .NET Core is 24GB and if installed with Xamarin it is 33GB .
- Microsoft Office about 5GB
Then it suggested that...
If I could recommend it anyway.
- If Drive C is 128GB SSD, it is recommended to divide 30GB for Desktop, Documents, and since files can compress (Zip) a lot, Volume Compression (Zip) can be opened as in the example in the video with CPU speed and Modern SSDs shouldn't have any performance issues at all.
- If Drive C is an SSD with a size of more than 250GB or a HDD , then share it with Drive C. 200GB is more than enough.
Any way to do this
But if it does not shrink a lot because there may be a naughty program. To write data at the end of the Partition is the only way to solve it. is to use a free program called EaseUs Partition Master . How to use it is in this video. When posting, don't accidentally press Next repeatedly. Set your mind well that we don't want to advertise.
After we share the Drive, if it happens that the name of the Drive doesn't go as you wish, you can use Disk Management to change the Drive name to your heart's content as well. I would prefer CD for SSD and E for HDD.
Once we have the storage, it's time to actually move it. For the important Folders that we use often include Desktop, Documents, Pictures (if we still care about MP3 files and movie files, probably Music, Videos too) , these are by default. It is stored in Drive C in Folder C:\Users , but in Windows 10 we can easily change its location. Just right click and press Move.
(For Folder Users and ProgramData , in fact, it can be moved to another drive as well, but Microsoft doesn't recommend it. )
Another folder that should be moved is AppData . Settings files of programs are usually located here. This includes files used to store Outlook mail, OneNote files.
But for those who use SSD with HDD , it is highly not recommended to move AppData, Desktop and Documents to HDD because of their data. It's usually loaded with Windows, putting it on the HDD will cause a loss of speed. It's better to allocate space on the SSD.
The final stage of data management But this one is satisfying. Well, we will also disable Hibernate and Fast Startup. These two features of Windows are rarely needed. Especially for use with SSD because if using SSD, we can turn on and off quickly already. Turning off both of these It will reduce the amount of data written to the SSD in another way as well. The more people who have a lot of RAM, such as 32GB, 64GB (our customers), using Hibernate, they have to write data to the SSD 16 - 64GB at a time because Hibernate is a technique to store data from RAM to Disk so that when Turn on the machine again. Windows can read the RAM faster. Because it will be reading in a sequential manner, which HDD likes (what is it ?) and Fast Startup is a system that was developed later. which then go to run this Hibernate file again. When we turn off Hibernate, Fast Startup system will be closed automatically.
To disable Hibernate, use the command from Command Prompt as an Admin:
powercfg /h off
This will save a lot of space as well. And the other thing is that it's not noticeably faster. Because it's already fast if you use an SSD :)
3) Launch OneNote
For anyone who has never used a note-taking program before. It's about time! Especially for those who still use Notepad, save it to a .txt file or write it in Sticky Note on the screen. (Note: The current version of Sticky Note has synced to the Cloud, so you can rest easy).
The main reason why it is recommended to use It's because it syncs the data to the cloud , which is quite reassuring that it won't go away easily, of course, and that we can also view our OneNote from the web. from mobile For me, it almost kept my life. There are important documents, work ideas, even this post. I wrote it in OneNote before I put it on the web. So many times OneNote saved my life. Especially when taking out the important documents of life.
OneNote has the advantage that it automatically syncs to the cloud and saves its data all the time. Plus if there are multiple devices edit the same page It also combines for itself separately. Then you can take files, take pictures, video, audio, attach it, and it syncs the data at the same time.
4) Install a fussy program with Chocolatey.
As we know that Most of the Windows programs that we use often. And familiar to each other There is still no Windows Store, so we have to sit and open the web, download and install one by one. but there are people who are kind that includes more than 6 thousand programs on Windows into a Store system already really surprising Why Microsoft didn't buy this company at all!?
To get started Then start by installing Chocolatey first by running the following commands with PowerShell (Copy it).
Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process -Force; iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))
Chocolatey's way of installing the program (or Chocolatey, it's called Package) is via the command line similar to apt get in Linux, but it also has a GUI. If you want a GUI, use this command.
choco install chocolateygui
The recommended Package is as follows. The green one is the Package name. If you use the Command Line, type choco install (name), for example choco install 7zip , etc.
- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime - all version vcredist-all Almost every program runs this one. Of course, there must be one.
- 7-zip 7zip - Stop using WinRAR, or if you need it, pay him some money (Winrar is also available in choco).
- Notepad++ notepadplusplus is a Notepad program that can do Syntax Hilighting for opening and reading various codes. and can be used with large files without freezing Once downloaded, it will be able to right click and open with Notepad++ for all files.
- Paint.NET paint.net is a quick and easy editing program that is a college student's graduation project. Layers, filters, almost a perfect replacement for Photoshop for minor image editing and so on. The advantage is that it launches programs quickly.
- K-Lite Mega Codec Pack k-litecodecpackmega It is a program that includes codecs that allow us to play almost everything in the world. It has a built-in Media Player HC to open files. Or if anyone likes VLC, you can install another VLC.
- CCleaner ccleaner , formerly known as Crap Cleaner, is a program to remove junk from your computer such as temp files.
- Recuva recuva is a program to recover accidentally deleted files. The highest chance of success is Just deleted this one. I'll bring it back because if it was deleted a long time ago There is a chance that another file will overwrite its archive.
- Boxstarter boxstarter if you are going to install a new machine that often It is recommended to try it ( read more here ) is that the Boxstarter is a chocolatey cover system again, allowing us to define what to install the Chocolatey Package, and then be able to set the Windows settings that normally have to sit and press. In the screen by using commands (eg Open Remote Desktop Server, Show hidden files, etc.). At first we had the idea that we would use this to install Driver as well, but let's see. It's more convenient for us to write by ourselves. So I wrote it myself (I have NIH Syndrome )
- Oh, and Chrome, FireFox can also be installed with Choco.
5) Set up a backup of important data.
In addition to moving important data away from Drive C, another thing that we often overlook is data backup. We need storage space that is not with our machine with the "Backup" Drive D, put Drive E in the machine, this is not counted as a Backup >.< If the device is stolen. or that there is any danger to the machine It was destroyed together.
For LEVEL51 customers, we offer 1TB (1000GB) of free space as long as they own the LEVEL51, which can be accessed from anywhere with internet access. This space is stored on the cloud of the company Microsoft ( Microsoft Azure ) with world-class standards. And the storage space is Redundant , meaning that he has already made a replication (that is, Copy, not Backup). This gives us some peace of mind that if the Data Center is not sabotaged. There is no way that our backup data will be lost for sure. Unless we accidentally delete it ourselves :P The way to use it is as follows.
For those of you who already have a NAS, give a big round of applause. (Don't forget to check the health of the HDD it too) For those who do not have a NAS, it's okay to use the HDD External placed at home for Backup one at all. Our work and memories are worth more than 1590 baht for sure! Or if there is not a lot of data, you can put a 64GB Flash Drive in it as well. But it's a bit messy in that you have to keep removing it. and don't forget that Do not take it with you!!! put it at home
Here comes some settings. In Windows, there is a built-in backup system called File History that will backup us every 1 hour, then follow these steps in the video. In this example, I will Backup to Cloud Drive of LEVEL51. If you use NAS or External HDD, just select the Drive as an External HDD or the address of the Nas box only, and it is important not to forget it. It must be remembered that backups are often successful. To fail is when Restore , so after the first backup is done, don't forget to try Restore to see if it really restores, is there anything missing?
And if we want to add a folder other than the one that Windows initially selected. It can be done as well. Notice that the Settings are separate places :P It will be a long time before Windows can get rid of the old Control Panel screen.
At this point, you might be wondering , how is Backup different from Copy (Replicate)?
Just having a copy is not considered a backup. For example, when we do RAID 1, it is that we have 2 copies of data, which is one disk. Replicate to another disk, although we feel safe because there are two data. Copy, but the case that we will find more often than the HDD is broken is our own confusion. If we accidentally lose something, for example, press Save As and push to save over another file. which must be sent tomorrow, or will order format C, push to order format D, etc. Our honest RAID system will automatically replicate this error to another HDD. This kind of thing can happen even to big companies with good backup plans.
A good backup is that we will need many sets of data. Stored in several separate locations and the best is It doesn't use any weird and wonderful technology (if someone who's had a RAID crash or a RAID Controller crashes, it's probably very bad) like Windows File History. I like it because the system saves files into the folder we choose and then rename them. Have a stubborn day like this and throw the burden on other matters Go to other systems instead, for example, if you want security, go for Drive Encryption, if you want to compress data, use Volume Compression. If you want to increase Reliability, do RAID. Let's just say that you can just open this disk and you can get files out of course. You don't even need to use Windows, while the Backup program will require you to use that program. to get the information out as well
The method of backup that is most commonly seen is Differential Backup, that is, we will do the first backup 1 time, keep it as a base, then every day we will have a backup by keeping only the data that has changed from the backup every time. In the past, so that we can save time in doing Backup and then allow us to "Can turn back time" if we accidentally do something wrong, etc.
In addition, there is another way is to use Version Control system (eg Git, SVN) , which I will write about. On the next occasion, one of my younger siblings has asked me this question for a lifetime. Haven't written an explanation yet. I can only go and read English (sorry)
After completing these 5 steps, it's a good time to continue playing Sysprep to save Windows + Update + all these programs. Keep it as an install.wim file for reinstalling. The form has a complete program as we use it. in order to reload This file can be used with the recommended method. Well, next time I'll give you advice on what to do.
Hopefully this post will give you more techniques for using Windows and using computers in general for everyone. For the next post. Don't forget to keep following us :D